Thursday, August 14, 2008

First round of parts arrive

I finally got some long awaited parts in this week. Below is the box the motor was shipped in. I'm going with an Advanced DC FB1-4001A. This is a dual shaft motor that can operate from 72 volts up to 144 volts. My goal is run it at 144 (room for batteries permitting).

This thing was really well packed.

Here is picture of the motor with my hand as a reference for the size. Amazing how small it is and yet it weighs in at about 140 pounds.


Here is a picture of the Albright contactor SW-200. It uses a 12v signal to trigger a massive contact point which will allow the 144 volts from the traction batteries to be sent to the motor controller. Two are used for added safety. One will be turned on with the ignition switch and the second will be turned on when the pot box switch is triggered (just as you begin to press the accelerator).


Not sure why this blog image uploader decided that some of my images were better off sideways. Here is the vacuum pump that will be used for the power assisted brakes. An additional chamber to keep a vacuum reserve will be built but I'll cover all these details as they are built and implemented later.


Here is the motor controller again picture with my hand for size reference. This guy weighs in at almost 20 lbs. I'm using a Curtis 1231C-8601. This can run between 96-144 volts and push a maximum of 500 amps. Do not confuse this with the other 1231C model which is only for up to 120v and 550 amps. The end of the model number is different but not always shown on some websites.


Here is a sheet of metal that the controller will be mounted to and a fan that will greatly help to remove heat from the unit. This should help the unit for many hours of operation.


Here is a picture of the Curtis PB-6 potbox. It will connect to the original accelerator cable and provide the motor control with the data for how fast I want to go. It's hard to see in the picture but on the left side of the picture are three little connectors. These are what I was referrering to earlier that will trigger one of my contactors that we need power.


Now that we have the motor the next major task is to find a machinist who can work some magic and mate my new motor to the transmission.

No comments: